1. I'll be on this earth for 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful; please understand that before you get me.
2. Give me time to understand what it is you want from me.
3. Give me your trust - it's crucial to my wellbeing.
4. Please don't be angry at me for long, don't lock me up as punishment and don't forget to make up with me.
5. You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have you.
6. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when you're speaking to me and it reassures me.
7. Please be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget.
8. Remember before you might want to hit me that I have teeth that could easily hurt you but choose not to use them because I love you.
9. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I might not be getting the right food, I might be ill, I might be tired if out too long or if I'm old, perhaps my bones and heart are weak.
10. You too will grow old; please take care of me when I get old. Come with me on all my journeys, even the difficult ones. Please don't say "I can't bear to watch" or "Let it happen without me". Everything is easier for me if you are there, even my death.
With thanks to the GSP Club for this text from the April 2014 Newsletter.